10 Simple Exercises to Strengthen and Tone Your Arms
Updated: Feb 8, 2019
People are more concerned about arm flab when they do not able to get rid of arm fat by following proper diet and exercise regime. There are few areas like arms, thighs, face in the body which we need to tone up that area by doing their specific exercises with proper diet. Arm fat is also caused by onset of aging too. As you grow older your metabolic rate decreases and if you are not engaged with physically active lifestyle, the excess fat could get stored in your arms. There are some studies which shows that low levels of testosterone can trigger the storage of excess fat in the upper arm region. As women get older, the levels of testosterone in their bodies decreases, it makes harder for them to lose those arms flab.
There are some simple exercises which can help to strengthen and tone up your arms. Some exercises include dumb bells, bench or platform and some are without any equipments except yoga mat. So now we will go ahead to see what exercises are really helpful to get rid of flab from your arms :
1) Incline push ups - stand facing bench or sturdy elevated platform. Place hands on edge of bench or platform slightly wider than shoulder width. Position for foot back from bench or platform with arms and body straight. Arms should be perpendicular to keep body straight, lower chest to edge of platform by bending arms by bending arms. Push body up until arms are extended. do 2 sets of 10 rep.
2) Arm circles- Stand straight with your feet shoulder width apart. Raise and extend your arms to the sides without bending the elbows, slowly rotate your arms forward, making small circles of about 1 foot in diameter. Complete a set in one direction and then switch, rotating backward. 2 sets of 10 reps .
3) Triceps push ups- get in plank position with your hands shoulder width apart.Lower your chest towards the floor while keeping your upper arms parallel to your sides and your elbows pointing straight back . Push back up to start. That's one repetition. Do three sets of 12 to 15 reps , resting for 30 seconds between sets. To make it easier lower your knees to the ground.
4) Forearm plank - Begin lying on the floor with your forearms flat on the floor , making sure that your elbows are aligned directly under your shoulder. Engage your core and raise your body up off the floor , keeping your forearms on the floor and your body in a straight line from head to feet. Keep your abdominal engaged and try not to let your hips rise or drop.
5) Lateral plank walk- Start in a high plank with your palms flat hands shoulder -width apart shoulders directly above your wrist, legs extended behind you, and your core and glutes engaged. Step right leading with your right hand and right foot, maintaining a plank as you move. This is one repetition. Do your reps in one direction & then repeat in the opposite direction. 20 reps in each direction.
6) Biceps curls- Stand with feet hip distance apart arms fully extended with a slight bend in elbow. Bring weight in towards shoulders to complete bicep curl lower slowly back to start. do 20 reps.
7) Triceps dips- Start seated with knees bent and feet on the floor. Place hands behind you, directly under the shoulders, with finger facing your hips. Lift hips to a hover.Bend elbow straight back and use your triceps to press back up. 20 reps
8) Weight lift-All you need for this exercise is a standard pair of weights. If you don’t have dumbbells, you can use a bottle of water as a substitute. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.Hold the weight with both your hands and lift it above your head. Pay close attention to form. Your arms should be straight. Slowly, lower the weight behind your back. After holding for a couple of seconds, lift the weight above your head again. While doing this exercise, keep your arms as close to your ears as possible. Do 3 sets of 20 reps each. Rest for a minute in between each set.
Yoga is great for increasing flexibility but it also helps tone and shape your arms. The best postures: Downward dog (Adhomukho Svanasan) and Side Plank (Vasisthasana).
9) Downward Dog: Start standing and bend over from the waist. Walk both hands forward until your hips are high. Press your heels into the floor and relax your shoulders. Hold for 3-5 breaths then walk hands forward to plank position.
10) Side Plank: From plank position, lift your right arm towards the sky, pressing into the edge of your left foot as you rotate hips and stack your feet. Hold for 3-5 breaths. Return to center plank and repeat on the other side.
A well balanced diet with these exercises will help you to reduce your arm fat and strengthen and tone them. Their is no specific time that how long it takes to lose arm fat, It depends the intensity of your exercise regime, the amount of fat you have and on your metabolism. If you stick to a proper diet and exercise well, you might be able to see a difference within a few month.